We were delighted to be joined by the Bishop of Leeds, Nick Baines, this morning for a service of Thanksgiving and Rededication following the completion of the redevelopment to the west end of St Mary’s. We were also joined by our patron, Robert Brudenell, representatives of the contractors (Roy C Smith Ltd) and other local dignitaries.
As part of the rededication, Gemma Hornby was confirmed by Bishop Nick.
The vision of the redevelopment started in 2009 when feedback from organisations and the community all pointed towards a more flexible space in church including a kitchenette and toilet to move the church forwards. This became the core of our Transformational Plan and 6 years on this vision has become a reality. We now have a disabled ramp, toilets (disabled as well), and kitchenette all disguised by curved seating which harks back to the monastic beginnings of St Mary’s near 1000 years ago.
This service was not held to mark the end of the project, but the beginning of a new chapter in the life of St Mary’s. One which is more outward-looking to minister further into the community.
St Mary’s embarks on a new chapter of its ministry. We give thanks for God’s provision, and rededicate our building and ourselves to serve God afresh in this generation.
Thanks be to God!